Why it is unlikely that anyone will be able to have a high profile career without being ripped to shreds….
Gone are the days of praise. No longer are we congratulating those in the entertainment industry for their fantastic er…entertainment, but instead, we like to discuss their outfits, hairline and of course, personal relationships . Why? Your guess is as good as mine.
1) No longer do models grace the covers of vogue and Elle, its celebrities. THIS i can deal with, doll them up and make them look ace, proving that although models might be lovely, most people can look lovely too. Adele on Vogue? She looked amazing.
2) Somewhere along the line we became so disgruntled by our own lives, that mocking other peoples became a sigh of relief. The comments on online gossip sites often make me frown. Get a LIFE. You clearly need one.
3) Unfortunately, the rise of the paparazzi are to blame in my opinion. Yes hundreds would gather for a glimpse of Marilyn Monroe, but were there any pictures of her looking out of her window in her dressing gown shoving a piece of toast in her gob? No. Agents tip off the paparazzi to get coverage. They will photograph anyone at any time. The reason stars such as Marilyn always looked so polished is simply because they were only photographed at events, so knew to dress up. Personal photos of that woman however, show that she was obviously, a proper lady who looked nice all the time. Amen sister. I shouldnt want to see a picture of Mila Kunis leaving the gym with a starbucks but…someone does. And i bet the photographer got paid big bucks.
4) Real life magazines. We love hearing about other peoples pain so we feel better about our own lives. I do it. We all do it. God it was bad when i lost that fiver today but dwell no more Emma, your dad didn’t eat your dog for dinner! That kind of thing.
5) Selling stories. Enough said.
6) Vanity. No matter if you’ve lost weight, gained weight, cut your hair or have a spot; you will always be criticised. You look great a week later and drop a few pounds; thats not OK either. You’ll be ‘stressed’, ‘panicking about what others think’ or my favourite ‘driven to an eating disorder.’
7) Reality TV. No matter if you’re on it, or you aren’t, its everywhere. Some people out there will care about Kim Kardashians new Burberry boots more than the presidential election, which is sad, but true.
SO- I believe people are doomed now that the public have a sense of entitlement. Reality TV and paparrazzi have made ‘celebrity’ lifestyles accessible, and if we don’t have access to wedding pictures, baby pictures and breakdown pictures, we feel ripped off. Why are people so obsessed with Britney and Lindsay? Because they give you what you want…which is everything.
I love Lindsay and Britney, but its important to have a balance. Don’t get sucked up in it and remember how shit you felt when someone made fun of you at school. Imagine that every day…world wide. OUCH. Count me out.